Sunday, December 12, 2010

Friends of Martin

I feel blessed by so many friends who are contributing in whatever way they can to help Martin come home--friends I already knew, and new friends I may never meet (including Charlie and Melissa House who are working so hard to bring Martin home to their house!).

I have always tried to base my life on reason. I have seen where unbridled emotions can lead, and it is not pretty. It has always seemed to me that living a life driven by "feelings" without the tempering effect of rationality can ultimiately only lead to despair. It is one of the things I love about the Catholic Church, I mean what other church would issue an encyclical entitled "Faith and Reason"? :-)

Yet, here I am, advocating, fund raising, praying for a child I have never met. A child whose situation is not unique. A child whose need is great, certainly, any "reasonable" assessment of the facts of his existence bear that out, but a child who is just one of many in this world of great needs. And I am doing this because of a feeling, because of a burden placed on my heart for this child.

I suspect that some of you are supporting Martin for just the same reason. I think that makes you my friend. It makes all of us Friends of Martin.


"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
— C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment